
While our family is squabbling yet again over our upcoming plans for Spring Break, I overheard one of the twins comment ... ''I don't care where we are, I just want to spend time with Dad.''
Again brings me to the notion of all we do for our children. Is it too much at times? I'm speaking in terms of the expensive gifts, trendy vacation spots, pricey sports camps, and just plain over the top things. We were barely done celebrating Christmas when discussions of what to do for Spring Break began and I guess from a financial standpoint that's the time to start making arrangements but it all makes me a wee bit uncomfortable. I've barely closed my checkbook from the holiday spending to start thinking already about another mass amount of money to spend that I don't already have...
The point that I'm getting at is that if we really get down to brass tacks most kids really do just want to spend time with us no matter the locale. Sure the older ones may feel a little bit different and my 18 year old will no doubt be pissed off that we've decided to call off our trip to Florida. But he and his buddy can just get over it!!! They will have the run of Mt. P as all and I do mean all of their friends and their families are vacationing in Mexico this Spring. When Ty came and asked me if he could go with his best friend and his family... I emphatically said no!!
I feel a little sad I've never been to Florida and the thought of leaving Michigan for a minute put a big smile on my face. But face it I never would have seen the boys and already I was told to not nag while on this trip and point blank that our hotel room would be soley a crash pad for Ty & his buddy .... I think not!!

1 comment:
Dionne,
Great post. Some of the most enlightened moments (for me and I hope my daughter) is when we've been driving in the car. Sometimes a drive to the redwoods, sometimes to the beach and sometimes just running errands. Thank you for the thought, you're absolutely correct!
;) ~Tracie
Post a Comment